canberrabirds

Do Spotted Pardalotes reuse nesting material?

Subject: Do Spotted Pardalotes reuse nesting material?
From: "Paul T." <>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 18:31:35 +1100
At 06:02 PM 1/12/2011, you wrote:
Do Spotted Pardalotes reuse their nesting material? Today I excavated the SP nest in our backyard as carefully as I could but couldn't see any sign of the nest building material that I had watched them taking to the nest over several days in October. They made so many trips with nest material that I was sure that I would find something. They are still in the neighbourhood as I hear them every day. Is it possible/likely that they have reused the nesting material? I didn't see them taking anything out.

Roy,

Is it possible that the nesting material rotted down while the young were in there? The presence of their manure etc (not sure whether the parents remove this or leave it in the nest?) would hasten the breakdown of any organic material, so quite possibly any "next" that was originally there would simply have decomposed by now?

Just an uneducated thought. Hopefully more educated answers will be forthcoming. <grin>

Cheers.

Paul T.
Higgins, ACT