canberrabirds

Do Spotted Pardalotes reuse nesting material?

To: canberrabirds <>
Subject: Do Spotted Pardalotes reuse nesting material?
From: Roy Harvey <>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 18:02:25 +1100
Do Spotted Pardalotes reuse their nesting material? Today I excavated the SP nest in our backyard as carefully as I could but couldn't see any sign of the nest building material that I had watched them taking to the nest over several days in October. They made so many trips with nest material that I was sure that I would find something. They are still in the neighbourhood as I hear them every day. Is it possible/likely that they have reused the nesting material? I didn't see them taking anything out.

Roy

Back story - on 15 October SPs starting building a nest in a heap of soil intented to be used to rebuild oyur veg garden. I watched them bringing building material to line thier nest with over a period of several days. Activity slowed down -I would see one of them enter the nest about once every two days. Late last week I realised that I hadn't seen one for a few days, so I carefully waching the nest over the next couple of days and sawing no comings and goings, I checked out the nest entrance and found cobwebs covering the entrance - even a SP couldn't get passed them.