canberrabirds

Red-capped Robins breeding but...

To: "Canberra birds" <>
Subject: Red-capped Robins breeding but...
From: "wallaces" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 20:18:42 +1100
There are Red-capped Robins with a nest of very small young in Woodstock Nature Reserve.  While watching the nest today, I set up my camera recording and walked off to allow the sitting bird to return, which it did.  When I reviewed the footage at home it contained a second bird, not in adult male plumage, feeding the sitting bird which was in similar plumage.  Confused, I thought I would check the nest contents and found very small young. There was no sign of a bird in what is described in the guides as adult male plumage over the two days I have observed the nest.

Do male Red-capped Robins breed in what the guides describe as immature plumage? Are there other explanations for what I have observed?

Photos taken from video footage attached are of one bird away from the nest, the two birds at the nest. A photo of the nest with young has been included with the report submitted to Eremaea.

Steve