canberrabirds

RE: Black-shouldered Kites

To: "'Philip Veerman'" <>, "'Elizabeth Compston'" <>
Subject: RE: Black-shouldered Kites
From: "John Bissett" <>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 16:16:29 +1100
Hello Philip

There were two immature birds (bearing a residual brown shading on the upper
breast) in the first group of six birds that appeared together during the
second half of September.  I have sighted one or two such immature birds
since then but I suspect they originated from within the first group.  Most
of the visitors are definitely adult birds and I have not sighted at any
time a more heavily coloured juvenile.

The reason these birds are here is obviously a response to what can only be
described as a mouse plague.  These little critters have been here in huge
numbers since early September and I expect that the Kites have simply
followed them in as the plague spread into our region from the western
districts.  I should add that our couple of resident kestrels have also been
joined by a few others and these are all enjoying the feast.

I am not familiar with the precise breeding habits of BSK and I am not sure
how long it takes a juvenile to progress through immaturity to full adult
plumage.  If this process were to take a few months rather than longer then
your reference to a pattern of winter breeding could well be correct.

And I have noted your comments about something for Canberra Bird Notes and
will come back to that idea later.  Meantime I am keeping track of things.

Cheers

John