canberrabirds

Attack of the birds - Magpies

To: <>
Subject: Attack of the birds - Magpies
From: "victoria" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:14:11 +1100

Play slideshow Play slideshow Save all photos Save all photos Want to save all these photos at once? Learn how
Online pictures are available for 30 days

Strange event this evening when in the back yard just outside of the patio. Suddenly surrounded by about 15 or more magpies (adults and juveniles) sitting on the roof of the house and patio and nearby pergola. I normally get visited by a few magpies but never this many all at once. It scared all the other birds in the yard including sulphur crested cockatoos, corellas and galahs which flew into the large euc. on my property. The magpies stayed there for about ten minutes and until I disturbed them by going to get my camera, by which time most had flown in to the large euc as well. The photos only show the remaining birds (gloomy weather).

Some birds fought in the tree and eventually they flew away, but thought this was very unusual especially in regards to the numbers. I believe they would have to be one family and perhaps 'showing' the young ones where to get water/food and where no dogs/cats live? A similar event also happened with about 8 cockatoos about two wks ago (I normally have visits from several). Birds learn from their parents and the season is likely to be a good one for breeding, so seems to make sense of this event (and no I don't feed the magpies meat as a number of people do).

Anyone else had large visitations recently?

Vic