canberrabirds

Not shovelling, whistling (2)

To: "'Mark Clayton'" <>, <>
Subject: Not shovelling, whistling (2)
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 23:41:49 +1100
Sorry Mark or actually sorry to anyone else for the way this is progressing. I'm lost. What is your question? Is there anything unclear in my comment? No one else seems unable to understand or have asked me what I am babbling about. To start with: "(the wider community than those Mark has referred to)" is obviously referring to your comment (11-10-2011) "I, as well as Peter and Chris and several former staff members from CSIRO Wildlife”. In that you were referring to a small group of people. I point out that this in contrast to the wider community of us, who do not know anything about the duck breeding and release history of this person you told us about.

I am responding to the last sentence of Geoffrey's message. Geoffrey wrote "the work of the Phantom Backyard Duck-breeder" that it looks like someone named Graeme asked Geoffrey about. I think it a fair guess, that this is Geoffrey's humorous terminology of the unidentified person who, you, Mark, wrote about, that you alleged had bred and released Blue-billed Ducks. I have no idea who he is.

I was simply asking if maybe the prior record of the single PWD is the same bird as what you wrote: "Peter will also tell you that another species of rare duck were also released on the ponds" Or maybe it is the Egyptian Goose. I have no idea. You mentioned it but did not say what the other species of rare duck was. Therefore it is a fair question. I don't know of any other likely rare duck that fits the picture. Why don't you tell us what that "other species of rare duck" was.

Thanks for the comment from Denis. I agree entirely. Of course birds move around a lot and ducks are included in this. There is no reason to suspect direct human assistance in most of these events. However if we do have a known history that some of these Blue-billed Ducks were released, and Mark seems pretty convinced of this, then if that is demonstrated as correct, it at least deserves to be considered as to what possible role it has on the recent history. Until the full story is known and even if that old history is true, I don't see any conclusive connection, history or evidence that the Blue-billed Ducks at FSP in recent years are only there because some person allegedly released the same birds there 30+ years ago. That doesn't mean the question of some small nth generation connection is not worth considering.