canberrabirds

painted snipettes ?

To: "'Terry Bell'" <>, "'chatline canberrabirds'" <>
Subject: painted snipettes ?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 16:53:19 +1100
Well only a statement or guess of the likely, that the presence of an adult male with two females makes a breeding a possibility. It is tempting to wonder what are the chances that the male actually arrived separately from the originally found two females. This is pure guess but only because these are such rare birds, I am tempted at the thought that all three arrived together. In which case I wonder if a male would have been sitting incubating for the first few days, when not seen. Indeed maybe there is more than one male, as the females like to have several males to mate with and leave to raise the kids. It is easy for these birds to hide.

I would amend Terry's comment to the extent that HANZAB writes of breeding groups of these birds. Also surely it is usually the male that does most of the incubation and child rearing.