canberrabirds

painted-snipe

To: "'chatline canberrabirds'" <>
Subject: painted-snipe
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 09:48:41 +1000

Today around 0730 I flushed 7 Latham’s Snipe from the margins of the billabong behind the school.  They dispersed individually to other parts of the wetland (they rarely fly a short distance) where they are available to be reported by other observers, as painted-snipe or otherwise.

The female painted-snipe was visible 0830 partially obscured by tussocks at the spot indicated by Harvey.  It could just be seen from the gate, motionless, apparently resting, for about a half-hour.  Probably still there.

Glossy Ibis still present.