canberrabirds

Super Parrot (not) and Tawny Frogmouth

To: John Brannan <>
Subject: Super Parrot (not) and Tawny Frogmouth
From: Robin Eckermann <>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 15:37:26 +1000
At 03:21 PM 19/09/2011, John Brannan wrote:
If the behaviour of your Tawny Frogmouths is anything like those I've been watching up at the Pinnacle, then the other TF is almost certainly sitting on a nest in a nearby tree. Look around carefully, particularly at horizontal stretches of tree limb, possibly where a limb forks.

(and Martin also posted a similar message)

Indeed - the pair of them have been huddling together for more than a month ... but I only spotted one today. I suspect you're right that the other was nearby ... but in my struggle to keep up with my wife (who stops for nothing on her morning walk), I didn't have time to look around - it could have even been in the same tree. I'll have a more careful look next time I go up the hill.

One of two of the neighbours who walk the same area reported to me last year that a pair of TFs were using a mud nest that is within about 50m of one of the other regular perches used by TFs - possibly originally constructed by White-winged Choughs. This location is much lower on the hill, and I haven't seen a TF at this perch for many months. I don't know whether their reports were accurate or not, but the guides I use describe a loosely constructed nest of sticks. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on the mud nest this year too.

Regards ... Robin