canberrabirds

KOELS [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

To: "'Perkins, Harvey'" <>, <>
Subject: KOELS [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 19:15:50 +1000

I gave up using Christidis and Boles quite some time ago because, as with all “hard copy” checklists, including the one I co-authored when at CSIRO, they are out of date the day they are published due to constant taxonomic discoveries and revisions. I prefer to use the IOC list as noted by Harvey for both my Australian and overseas lists. I much prefer the name Pacific Koel as it a far more descriptive name for the majority of the species’ distribution. The name Pacific Koel, is listed in the Zoological Catalogue of Australia, the Federal Governments series on all things biological in Australia, the relevant section of which  was written by Dick Schodde and Ian Mason from CSIRO.

There was recently much discussion on the Birding-aus forum as what list Australia should follow. It appears more and more people are using either the IOC list or the Clements checklist. Both of these lists are regularly updated, the IOC often up to four times per year. I can’t see any benefit in following a list that is so out of date it’s not funny! The other unfortunate thing about C&B is that it does not list subspecies, something that is often complained about, especially by people doing EIS work and the like, which makes it even less useful.

Mark