canberrabirds

Betty Temple Watts

To: CanberraBirds <>
Subject: Betty Temple Watts
From: "David McDonald (personal)" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:42:44 +1000

 Forwarded on behalf of John Walter m("bigpond.net.au","jcwally");">

C.O.G. members might be interested to know that the National Library of Australia is publishing The Quintessential Bird: The Art of Betty Temple Watts, available in October. The Library holds the 34 bird plates that Betty painted to illustrate Birds in the Australian High Country edited by Harry Frith. The Quintessential Bird features these plates, together with many enlargements of individual bird portraits from the plates, and includes a short biographical text by Betty’s daughter-in-law, Viola. Betty was a long-time resident of O’Connor, Canberra, and is well known, not only for her work for Birds in the Australian High Country, but also for Pigeon and Doves of Australia (edited by Harry Frith), for a pre-decimal and later a decimal stamp set of Australian birds, and for many other commissions. One of the plates in Birds in the Australian High Country contains a painting of a male Gang-gang Cockatoo, which, with its female partner, is on the cover of the Library’s new publication. In 1959 Ruth and I were visiting the Temple Watts in Canberra on our honeymoon and Aunt Betty, as we knew her, was painting the Gang-gang from a live bird. Years later she repainted the bird from memory for us and we proudly have this painting on our lounge room wall.

ISBN 978-0-642-27731-2

2011, hb, 198 x 154 mm, 160 pp

RRP $34.95

John & Ruth Walter

Pittsworth

SEQ

PS. Viola Temple Watts will be giving a talk at the NLA Bookshop in November. The actual date will be announced later.