canberrabirds

painted button quail at ANBG

To: Cog line <>
Subject: painted button quail at ANBG
From: sandra henderson <>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 18:00:07 +1000
Today at ANBG highlights for me were a flock of around 15
Yellow-tailed black cockatoos, and a couple of Painted button-quail.
Not being familiar with PBQ, I've consulted Con B., who has confirmed
my suspicions about the ID.  The PBQ were about 30m uphill from the
Black Mountain gate at back of the Gardens.  They were scratching
around in the litter but staying behind/under cover much of the time.
there seemed to be a number of older platelets around and lots of
fresh scratchings, and after a while they scuttled across the road
(ie, further into ANBG), into very shaded and fairly dense veg.  pale
belly, strong back markings, reddish shoulder patch on at least one of
the two birds, and reluctant to take flight even though I was only
2-3m from them.  I think I'd have got a better view if there hadn't
been a fairly steady stream of joggers and walkers coming past on
their lunchtime exercise outings!
The YTBC were flying over, but then settled into tall trees in the rainforest.

sandra h