canberrabirds

Perhaps forward just one more Gluepot ob

To: <>
Subject: Perhaps forward just one more Gluepot ob
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:16:57 +1000

From: Geoffrey Dabb [
Sent: Tuesday, 26 July 2011 10:40 AM
Subject: At Gluepot

Gday Noel

Well, after last seeing you taking the weather readings at 9am on Sunday, I set off as foreshadowed to do the Gypsum Lunette walk on my way out. This was pleasant enough although relatively birdless, stepping through all that  prickly Triodia.  After 5km I came out where the track meets the road along the Taylorville boundary.  At that point, just over the road, outside the Gluepot reserve, a single call drew my attention to a female Scarlet-chested flying up to a low perch (snap below).  Then another flew up, but when I took a few steps towards them they flew off joined by 4 others that had been feeding on the ground.  They wheeled away north into the reserve.  Where they were was open shrubby woodland, no Triodia at all.

With your sightings and Jenny and Sandra’s it looks like the ACT has won this Winter’s  interstate competition for scarlet-chested sightings at Gluepot.     gd