canberrabirds

Fw: Destruction of Ibis and Cormorant nesting sites at Yowani Golf Cours

To: "CanberraBirds" <>
Subject: Fw: Destruction of Ibis and Cormorant nesting sites at Yowani Golf Course
From: "Kathy Cook" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:17:12 +1000
I am forwarding this as some of you may be interested in this sorry saga.

Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:13 PM

Dear Shane

Thank you for your response.  There may still be some positive action you can take.   My husband David played golf today at Yowani and the remaining trees on the island still hadn’t been touched.  In the meantime about 50 ibis have returned and many have started making or repairing their nests in the still standing trees.  And with the large pile of available nesting sticks (formerly trees) they thinks it’s Christmas.  So it would be terrific if some action could be taken now, so that only half the breeding birds are displaced this year.  The contractors were working on removing pine trees today but may be back to the island very shortly.

For your information COG’s president Chris Davey has received the following response from Murray Evans in the ACT Government on the history of the decision.   David has assured me that the dam has a history of algae long before the birds arrived – a more likely source would be the high concentration of fertiliser typically used on most golf courses.

Thanks again for your interest in this matter.

Kathy