canberrabirds

Pacific (not quite) Black Duck

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Pacific (not quite) Black Duck
From: Denis Wilson <>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 17:15:36 +1000
Martin's "not quite black" Pacific Black Duck does not appear to have orange legs (the top of one leg is partially visible), nor curled tail feathers - the straight tail feathers are clearly visible. Those are both features Philip rightly asserts as signs to look for,

Size is not mentioned.  It is apparent from Martin's image that the regular Black Duck on the right, and the odd bird on the left are of the same size. Many Mallard crosses are as much as 50% larger than PBDs,

So some form of colour variant (not a hybrid) would appear to be the more satisfactory explanation, in my opinion.

I acknowledge that hybridisation does seem to occur very readily and so presumably partial hybridisation (cross-back) could dilute the traits we look for in "Mallard crosses". But in the absence of the standard tell-tale hybrid PBD X Mallard signs, I prefer the albinism or partial albinism theory.

Cheers
Denis Wilson