canberrabirds

Kopulating Kestrels and nesting Galahs - ?signs of Spring

To: <>
Subject: Kopulating Kestrels and nesting Galahs - ?signs of Spring
From: "casburnj" <>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 16:57:06 +1000

Narrabundah Hill 12md to 3pm – a still cool sunny afternoon – not a lot of birds to be seen in the air but plenty of small bird near the ground

There was lots of activity around the perimeter of the reserve – including a mangy sick fox with skin lesions,  a healthy fox and a very large feral cat with long bushy tail.

Two feeding flocks in widely separated areas were being harassed by what I believe to have been, in both instances, the same Brown Falcon.  The bird was very cunning, appearing suddenly where flocks could be heard.  While the flocks had a slightly different composition, the majority of the birds were red-browed firetails – hence they may have been the same RB’s in each of the flocks.

Two Kestrels were soaring high and loudly calling – then one on a power stanchion called the other bird which landed on the other side of the stanchion.  A while later loud calling sounds alerted me to look again and copulation was happening.

A pair of Galahs sounded strong alarms when the ?Brown Falcon was in the vicinity of a feeding flock – this drew my attention to one of the birds later taking a twig with leaves on it into a nesting hollow – both birds were in the tree.

Thornbills – brown, buff, striated and yellow-rumped – not all in the same place

Wee-bills

Red-browed firetails – 20+ at a time

Diamond firetails – 2

Scarlet Robins – M&F

Speckled Warblers – 2

White-eared Honeyeater 1

Southern Whiteface 3

House Sparrows 6

Red-wattle Bird 1

Laughing Kookaburra 1

Crimson Rosellas 2

Superb Wrens – lots

Magpie Larks 4

Galahs 12

Grey Fantail – heard and briefly seen

Magpies 3

A slow but satisfying expedition. I will do an COG report.

Jean