canberrabirds

second Gang-Gang census

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: second Gang-Gang census
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 09:15:16 +1000
The results are are as follows: between 11-12 on Sunday 5 June, 18
areas in Central Canberra were surveyed, and two casual observations
were submitted. 15 individual birds were located.

The results are summarised in the attached spreadsheet.

These results are somewhat surprising, to me at any rate, as the
weather this year was very much better than last year, and yet fewer
birds were recorded. (Last year 25 birds were observed, however the
majority of these birds were two large concentrations, 9 birds in
Commonwealth Park and 13 in a back-yard in Lyons). This year more
pairs on their own were sighted, not groups. Another difference is
that only one immature bird was seen, compared with 4 last year.

The results of the two Gang-Gang censuses lead me to the following conclusions:

1. Gang-Gangs are conspicuous and this, coupled with the 'lumpiness'
of their distribution on occasions might cause us to overestimate
their numbers.
2. The number of Gang-Gangs in central Canberra is probably lower than
I had suspected and concentrations like the 13 from Lyons last year
(or the 17 I had in my backyard in Hughes a couple of years ago) might
represent significant proportions of the birds actually present in the
area.
3. For next year we need a methodology for counting that has a longer
period to allow more observations and for us to average out sightings
(and also perhaps gain insights into preferred feeding areas and
patterns of movement).

Thanks again to the observers. If anyone has any thoughts on any of
the above please let me know. I will be preparing a report for
Canberra Bird Notes as last year.

--
John Leonard
Canberra

I want to be with the 99,999 other things.