canberrabirds

Fw: GANG-GANGS

To: "canberra birds" <>
Subject: Fw: GANG-GANGS
From: "Rosie - Internode" <>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 17:57:17 +1000
Thanks to the input of Martin, Matthew, Nicki, Geoffrey, John L and Sandra I will send round the email I devised about the Gang-Gang logo issue yesterday afternoon.

There has been quite a bit of action and reaction since and simultaneously from several acknowledged local naturalists and ecologists and the session on ABC's 666 Drive show after 5pm.

I will also forward a Media release from Shane Rattenbury of the ACT Greens as it shows another valuable avenue of support for those who know the Gang-Gang logo must be retained. This forwarding is in relation to the logo issue and is not intended as a political statement of my overall views or any intention to influence others.

Another comment that may be of interest & revealed by Martin's posted link is "each state and territory still retains a logo for their conservation agencies".

Please don't leave sending your views about retaining the logo to others. Every individual letter, email or phonecall or community groups' responses will be vital in this campaign to support the retention of the Gang-Gang logo and show our support for the Parks and Conservation Service personnel and their mission.

Thank you

Rosemary

Tuesday afternoon.

Greetings to Biodiversity supporters and volunteers for conservation!

Some weeks ago I mailed to some of you a series of points relating to the ACT Parks and Conservation Service's Gang-Gang cockatoo logo.

This iconic logo was under threat because the Hawke Review of the ACT Public Service recommended it be discontinued as a cost-cutting measure. Most agencies, including PCS, would instead utilise the TAMS logo.

I've received word today that the Parks and Conservation Service is NOT listed as an ACT Government agency that may retain and use its legendary Gang-Gang logo.

Some other agencies, including the Arboretum, are allowed to retain their specific logos.

PLEASE WOULD YOU NOW SWING INTO ACTION BY PHONING-THROUGH YOUR DISAPPROVAL OF THIS DISCRIMINATORY EDICT?

Simon Corbell  6205 0000 or email

Chief Minister  6205 0104

Shane Rattenbury  6205 0005       The Greens have already heard the news having been 'enlightened' via the Conservation Council.

You already realise that the Parks and Conservation Service and any programs that relate to land management and the retention and care of the ACT's open spaces and reserves have borne and continue to bear the brunt of any "cost-cutting" measures that ACT Governments can get away with. I feel this latest "cost-cutting measure" is also a direct insult to those who maintain natural areas or volunteer in that role. The "environment" is once-again being treated with contempt and as expendable.

I believe reference to the loss of the logo will  be made on the ABC's Drive show this afternoon if you receive this in time to tune-in.

Your phonecall or email doesn't need to be lengthy. The quantity of calls is probably more vital than detail at this stage. However some additional points could be:

  • The Gang-Gang logo has been the symbol of ACT Nature Park, Reserve and National Park management for over 30 years. (The logo's design was altered only a few years ago when the previous threat of extinction was fought)
  • The Gang-Gang logo is widely recognised throughout the community. This recognition includes respect, support and appreciation.
  • Rangers who wear the logo have the responsibility of caring for Ngunnawal lands. This factor adds to the respect that should be accorded.
  • The Gang-Gang is the faunal emblem of the ACT and is widely recognised interstate as representing the highly-regarded contribution our Parks Service makes in land-management and wildlife care Australia-wide.
  • For years the advertising industry has successfully campaigned to enslave consumers to their clients' brands. The move to ban the Gang-Gang logo flies in the face of established business-logic especially when taxpayers' money has been expended on 30 years promoting our ACT environment's brand.
  • Removing the logos from rangers' vehicles, signs, equipment, stationery, fire-fighting vehicles will cost thousands of dollars at a time when such money should be spend on on-ground ranger-programs.
  • The Parks and Conservation Service needs a distinctive logo in recognition of its role in managing 70% of the ACT's land area, its being a professional, essential bushfire management agency, it protects the region's water security and manages unique ecosystems...with the help of countless volunteers who also wear the badged-logo with pride and enthusiasm.

Sorry this is so long...my collar is overheated again!  Disapproving calls from over-the-border are very welcome! Please ask a favour of your network-members.

Thank you

Rosemary