canberrabirds

Wednesday walk 18 May, Bungendore area, and June walk

To: COG List <>,
Subject: Wednesday walk 18 May, Bungendore area, and June walk
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 17:36:31 +1000
The Editors of Gang-gang and the Webmeister may wish to insert this in the appropriate locations.

Walk of 18 May to spots near Bungendore
18 members assembled at the Brooks Hill Reserve parking area on a day that was a tad cool to start, but brilliantly clear.  Some members who had previously explored the Reserve were a little cautious about predicting a big haul of species here.  In fact we marked off 29 species in a bit over 2 hours which was very acceptable for the season.  Notable sightings included a Fan-tailed Cuckoo, at least 3 Varied Sitella, at least 4 Scarlet Robins, more White-throated Treecreepers than one could poke a stick at and 2 ( I hesitate to call it a pair, since we didn't enquire that closely) of soaring Wedge-tailed eagles.

Most of us then relocated to the escarpment at Smiths Gap to survey Diane's property.  We recorded 25 species  there, adding 9 species to the day's list giving a very respectable 38 in total (which list will appear in the trips area of the COG website).  We recorded another Fan-tailed Cuckoo and  5 species of Honeyeaters  (White Eared/Naped/Plumed; Red Wattlebird and Eastern Spinebill).   A large flock (at least 20) of White-winged Choughs greeted our return to base.  Here we enjoyed some most excellent chestnut and pumpkin soup and Speckled Warbler (a nice garden bird) and Double-barred Finches.

Very many thanks to Diane for the guiding and the soup!

Walk for June
The walk on 15 June will be Shepherds Lookout and towards (perhaps to) the Murrumbidgee.  Contacts will be the 2 Terrys, Bell and Munro.

Not for Gang-gang: The attached Google Maps extract  hopefully indicates where to meet.