canberrabirds

pine tree logging

To: canberrabirds chatline <>
Subject: pine tree logging
From: Graham Stephinson <>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 21:43:16 +1000
Years ago the property east of our garden/house was planted to Pinus radiata, subdivided into 100 ac. blocks, then offered to the public who could then invest in part or whole of 100acs. Usual shady scam. Little takers, pines neglected, original co. down the gurgler, property then changed hands several times.
Now pines being logged, mostly for pulp, some saw logs!!

Now I notice, with all the noise (day & night) from machinery and removal of pines, that we have had an influx of spotted quail-thrush in the bush near our house, many eastern yellow robins feeding early morning in cleared tussock country outside our garden as well as mixed flock of small brown birds (I have yet to catch up on species), and no doubt the large flocks of yellow-tailed blk. cockies that came for the cones will be a thing of
the past.
The country will now be an area of weeds (serrated tussock, St. John's wort, fleabane, thistles, etc) and be subject to
erosion.  Steepish country and in the head waters of the QBN river.

The noise at all times and the road battering by the logging trucks will continue for at least another 4 months. Called progress!! Prior to pine trees there were lovely areas of Euc. mannifera, rubida, stelulatta, pauciflora,
and some peppermint!!

Steve.