canberrabirds

MFF with a difference

To: "MJ and ME" <>, <>
Subject: MFF with a difference
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 23:52:10 +1000
I walked the Weston Ck bike path along the Molonglo River this afternoon for similar sightings (possibly the area you saw them Michael) - est. approx 20 - 30 Red-browed finches, 10 - 15 Double-barred, smaller numbers of Yellow-rumped T'bills & Grey Fantails, 2 Goldfinch, large numbers of Silvereyes eating pyracantha berries like they were popping pills.  Also 4 Darters incl. one at a nest,  & 6 Dusky Woodswallows. Grey Butcherbird calling in the distance.  I was really struck with the number of Superb Fairy Wrens.  Although they were moving about, they were on both sides of the river and I would say at least 5 separate family groups.  Only 3 adult males, two in one of the groups, the rest were either females or immatures, possibly 50 or more all up.  I crossed the river at the horse crossing & walked the forest side only to find the construction site blocked my shortcut back to the vehicle (parked near the RSPCA).  Total retrace of steps necessary!   Speaking of the construction site birds I have seen in the now razed area in days gone by (pre fire) include Red-capped Robin, Varied Sitella, Eastern Yellow Robin, Flame and/or Scarlet Robins, Palid & Fan-tailed Cuckoos, Brown Falcon, & a family group of Black-shouldered Kites.  Maybe the arboretum will in time offer them replacement habitat.

Cheers

Rod