canberrabirds

Fate of a stranger

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Fate of a stranger
From: "Michael and Janette Lenz" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 10:59:54 +1000
This morning (29 APR.) while walking along the eastern edge of Lyneham Ridge I heard a Cockatiel. Finally I spotted the bird: It circled at quite a height over North Lyneham, possibly attracted to birds in an aviary. After several loops it gradually came lower and headed for trees at the Ridge. But before it could land a Sparrowhawk appeared and snatched it. The Sparrowhawk with prey took cover lower in a tree. In no time several Currawongs, Magpies and and an Australian Raven congregated close by and started to harrass. I did not want to add further discomfort to the Sparrowhawk and checked the spot where it had originally landed only much later. There were no signs of cockatiel feathers or other remains. I suspect, the Sparrowhawk had sought a quiet shelter elsewhere to consume its catch of the day.

No doubt, one can argue about it, but from the behaviour I assume the Cockatiel was a wild bird.

Michael Lenz