canberrabirds

Geoffrey's hybrids

To: "Philip Veerman" <>,"Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Subject: Geoffrey's hybrids
From: "boy nature" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 11:31:27 +0000
I am a finch man not a parrot man (Finch Lover my sisters say with hilarity). So this is off the top of my head.
Philip's response is rational. However from what I remember the first neophema mutations were red bellied Turqs then yellow turqs and then par blue scarlets. Red bellied turqs were probably caught from the wild. If you look at a field guide scarlets dont have red bellies, they are yellow. Turqs have red wing stripes in males. Much later (decades) it was actually the cross of turqs with scarlets that created the full red fronted birds.
Also, from what I was told early on, the Pink Bourke is a combination of rosa bourke (sex linked) with cream bourke (autosomal recessive). The simplest way to do this is: male rosa/cream X cream female for a 1/4 chance for pink. But since creams were quite rare, it was more difficult to breed pinks, (ie ~ 1/16 chance with split birds). Thus my suggestion of Rosa bourke for the photo although it does look like a pink.
Jacarinis and Cuban finches are a couple of S Am species which breed well in captivity in Australia.
Benj