canberrabirds

Yard bird lists

To: martin butterfield <>
Subject: Yard bird lists
From: Tonya Haff <>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 20:39:00 +1000
Wow, thank you Martin, that's a really interesting summary. I had no idea that some suburbs had such high species lists!  Looking on a map, it doesn't make intuitive sense to me why some suburbs (say, Curtain) would have had so many more bird species come through than others; do people think this is due to observer bias, because dedicated twitchers live in some suburbs, but not in others?

I'm North American, and all the twitchers I know there keep 'yard lists', which is simply all the species one sees or hears while directly in one's yard. It's kind of fun, though rather silly - if you see a cool bird down the street, you have to run back to your driveway and try to see it from there. Consequently, I've always followed this tradition.  Honestly, in the middle of O'Connor, I'm really not sure how many more species I'd pick up by walking 100m in any direction!  But the GBS sounds like a good idea - maybe I should start keeping both lists.

Then I could actively hunt for owlet-nightjar!

Cheers,

Tonya