canberrabirds

Mulligan's Flat: Scaly-breasted Lorikeets

To: "'Milburns'" <>, "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Mulligan's Flat: Scaly-breasted Lorikeets
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 08:44:31 +1000
An interesting observation. Early on Wednesday morning, around 7 a.m., when
I went out to pick up my newspapers, one, possibly two, lorikeets were
calling about 2 blocks "south" over from my house on Maribyrnong Avenue in
Kaleen. It definitely wasn't either Musk or Little Lorikeets and it didn't
have the harsh tone of a Rainbow Lorikeet. It is a while since I have heard
Scaly-breasted Lorikeets but when doing regular surveys on the NSW north
coast, I found I could readily differentiate the calls of both Rainbows and
Scaly-breasted. Several hours after the original call was heard the bird(s)
had moved to the north of home. Locally in Kaleen there doesn't appear to be
much Eucalypt in flower so I am not sure what the birds would feed on here.
Perhaps there are more Banksias in Kaleen gardens that I know of.

Mark