canberrabirds

Sines of the Thymes

To: "'COG List'" <>
Subject: Sines of the Thymes
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 23:55:12 +1000
Not too sure how to interpret this or whether adding my random obs of the last month is of any usefulness. I mentioned a Fan-tailed Cuckoo at the ANBG recently and two weeks ago I was at home in Kambah and went outside to check out the calls of a goshawk or sparrowhawk which I did not find but whilst outside I watched a Fan-tailed Cuckoo for a few minutes. So it is on my GBS Chart. It was not calling that I noticed, before, during or after the time I watched it.

The relevant text from the GBS Report is:

Fan-tailed Cuckoo Cacomantis flabelliformis

This is a forest and woodland inhabitant. It is less migratory than other cuckoos, so its monthly pattern, although typical of cuckoos, is much less well defined. This species is quite vocal, especially during spring. However the call is probably not as far-carrying as Pallid or Brush Cuckoo. From a mid winter low with very few observations, numbers increase sharply from August to a peak in October, then decline quickly till December, staying in even reduced numbers through summer and autumn before declining to the winter low. Numbers have declined significantly, at about half the abundance from Years 12 to 21 as for the first 11 years. The breeding record is one dependent young in January Year 6 at Site 18.
Graphs on page: 95, Rank: 66, Breeding Rank: 84, A = 0.01168, F = 15.43%, W = 18.3, R = 1.113%, G = 1.05.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Geoffrey Dabb [ Sent: Friday, 8 April 2011 10:09 AM     To: 'COG List'
Subject: RE: [canberrabirds] Sines of the Thymes

Oh dear, I don’t think I can take this any further.  I have repeatedly put my view that Ft Cuckoos are present and call throughout the Winter.  Over several past years I have often heard them eg at orienteering locations all over our woodlands.  In order to demonstrate this, I suggested for last Winter  a tallying of this and other species, and I reported the result to this list.  Now Martin and others say that that result only indicated the (possibly unusual) presence of the relevant species last Winter.  They are quite correct.  That is all that it shows, but it is also consistent with the species being present in all Winters, or in most Winters, or in other Winters that were like last Winter in some respect.  If I repeated the exercise for the coming Winter, those of the narrower view would say that presence has only been shown for two years, and correspondingly if the exercise was repeated for 20 years.

It is quite true that species-presence does vary, sometimes markedly and sometimes for the long term, eg  Crested Pigeon, Koels (query whether long term).  No doubt changes are occurring right now.  Each of us has their own views on what is going on.  If it came to the point, I don’t suppose I would want the evidence on which I base my own perceptions subjected to a rigorous scrutiny.

I only raise this because ‘únusual’, expressed or impied, is the adjectival comment that comes with many reports to this chatline.  That’s fine.  The reader can regard the report as unusual or not depending on their own experience and researches.  However the cumulative implication of all this is that SOMETHING IS GOING ON, the assumption by many being that this is something associated with climate change.  Perhaps that is indeed the reason for some unusualnesses, perhaps not.  Then again the reported behaviour might not be so unusual after all.

From: martin butterfield [ Sent: Friday, 8 April 2011 8:01 AM     To: COG List     Subject: [canberrabirds] Sines of the Thymes

Two Fan-tailed cuckoos calling at Carwoola this morning.  Ever the optimists.  Perhaps the birds are going to hang around this Winter as they did last.

One regular event in the colder months is the appearance of flocks of 10+ Noisy Miners in my GBS site.  The first of those turned up this morning, clearly demonstrating why they are not called Silent Miners.

Martin