canberrabirds

Cullendulla Emu Wrens- B Bay

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: Cullendulla Emu Wrens- B Bay
From: Dimitris Bertzeletos <>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:48:24 +0300
To my understanding the CC Emu Wrens are the only ones regularly reported in the Eurobodalla. I saw 7 today.

All the best,

D.

Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 05:32:11 -0400
Subject: [canberrabirds] Cullendulla Emu Wrens- B Bay

I went to have another look at Cullendulla creek nature reserve today.
Only a 40% chance of rain, but of course it rained pretty much all day, particularly when i was in the reserve.

Cullendulla creek nature reserve, is on the North side of the Bay, head East from the bridge, past the camping ground. along/ to the end of surfside beach. Corner of Wallarah and Myemba Pde. Take bus Priors 761- heading North (buses are unpredictable though). The reserve is inner- North Batemans bay, much before you reach Long Beach. http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkHome.aspx?id=N0805
On this corner you should be able to see the blue signs directing you to Cullendulla. There are really good signs, explaining the physical and cultural history of the area. Keep heading along the beach, it explains how the Chenier dunes are unusual as they are 7 dunes of sand and shells on Mud, rather than sand. The beach is lined by Casuarina glauca. At the end of surfbeach is a big mud flat at the end of the creek, which has pied oystercatchers, terns, sandpipers, curlews (in Feb- not today). Then you turn North heading along the Creek. Until you reach a boardwalk, that is lined with signs about mangrove ecosystems (that parallels the creek). Go at low tide and you will see many crabs, I often counted 8-12 per m square, with I reckon about 4 per m square on average. The main crabs are purple shore crabs- small, purple backs and red claws, semaphore crabs- green backs with yellow claws, and in more muddy areas, soldier crabs, that are the 'least afraid' ive seen.
Birds along the creek include white faced herons, reef egrets, (possibly ??? striated herons), swans. Today it was raining and the water was bubbling with fish breaking the surface in batches- I think they were spawning, while the predator density was low in the rain.
After the board walk the trail parallels the river, until it heads South back towards the Bay. My memory was not quite right last time. These are mainly dominated by tall Casuarina glauca, with some very large banksias- probably integrifolia not marginata.
Then there is a big open area, with mainly a broad-leafed coastal grass species and some lomandra. This is where there were emu wrens. The trail hits the bay then follows the above path in parallel along the Bay (but westwards), and slightly off the beach.
Near to where the introductory sign is (above) is where I saw a group of >5 emu wrens. They were not tame, but not too afraid and hung around which gave good views.
At Cullendulla you have great views of Batemans Bay city/town, and it is amazing/frustrating, that I spent so many years looking for emu wrens in obscure places, and here they are right in the centre of the main city/town. In fact they were one of my 3 candidate honours year species but I abandoned that idea because they were too hard to find and when you did, too hard to follow.

Benj