canberrabirds

Gooroo South autumn woodland survey

Subject: Gooroo South autumn woodland survey
From: <>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 04:38:50 +0000
Prue and I, with Dave and Kathy Cook, had a lovely day on Sunday 3rd April for our latest survey. Birds were reasonably plentiful although only a few mixed flocks were encountered. 4 Red-browed Finches were a first for this survey, and species not often reported previously were Silvereyes (5+) and White-browed Scrubwrens (3+). Others of interest - Wedge-tailed Eagle (2), Brown Falcon (2), Nankeen Kestrel (2),  Common Bronzewing (1), Speckled Warbler (1+), Dusky Woodswallow (3), Grey Currawong (1), Leaden Flycatcher (1 female). Honeyeaters were rather scarce but we did have a few small groups of Yellow-faced moving through. There were plenty of pardalotes and thornbills at some sites.

Herps were few but included a Shingleback and a calling Whistling Treefrog (Litoria verreauxii). Perhaps the most interesting sighting of the day was a Black Jezebel (Delias nigrina) butterfly, a fairly common species on the south coast but a rarity in the ACT, and the first I have seen here. Like others in this genus it is a mistletoe feeder. As others have noted it has certainly been an interesting season for butterflies around Canberra. Other species recorded were the more usual Imperial Jezebel, Meadow Argus, Common Brown, Common Grass-blue and Chequered Copper.

cheers

Steve

******************************************************************************************************* This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group. Please ensure that emails posted to the list are less than 100 kb in size. When subscribing or unsubscribing, please insert the word 'Subscribe' or 'Unsubscribe', as applicable, in the email's subject line. List-Post: <> List-Help: <> List-Unsubscribe: <> List-Subscribe: <> List archive: List manager: David McDonald, email <>