canberrabirds

Establishment of new currawong food factory* (?)

To: <>
Subject: Establishment of new currawong food factory* (?)
From: "Barbara Preston" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 11:24:39 +1100
A pair of crested pigeons is establishing a nest in the hakea just outside my office window, in full view over the top of my monitor .... They first came on Saturday, with much courting behaviour. On Sunday they both left for half the day after three crimson rosellas came for a while, but were back by evening. Yesterday and today nest-building continues with the male off collecting twigs, sometimes breaking them off from the hakea within a couple of metres of the nest. The local pair of currawongs were hanging around, observing, for a while earlier - but maybe the food produced will be too late in the season for them. Unfortunately the nest is just above the height of the top of the window, so I will not be able to see eggs (unless the nest is really sparse).
Anything I should particularly look out for?
cheers
Barbara
* PS some years ago CPs had many successive nests in this hakea over around 18 months (if I remember rightly). Stalking currawongs were frequent, and I observed quite a few eggs, hatchlings and fledgelings go to the currawongs - carcasses with necks wedged in small branch forks to make easy the stripping of flesh, headless young CP bodies near the currawong nest ...
21 Boobialla Street
O'Connor  ACT  2602
Phone: 61 2 6247 8919
Fax: 61 2 6247 8779