canberrabirds

Rufous Fantails at ANBG (again) today

To: <>
Subject: Rufous Fantails at ANBG (again) today
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 21:37:10 +1100
Further to this, at about 1:30 today I watched two Rufous Fantails in exactly the same spot as I described below. They were flitting about and calling a lot. I am pretty confident there was also a third one heard from a bit higher up the gully or higher in the tree. They shared the patch with several Grey Fantails, so if anyone would like to see the two species together, this is a likely good opportunity.

I apologise that I have not had time to check out whether the location as described by Mauritz is the same or different spot as I am describing.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Maurits Zwankhuizen [ Sent: Saturday, 19 March 2011 11:37 AM
To:       Subject: RE: [canberrabirds] Rufous Fantail & Koel etc. at ANBG today

Thanks, Philip.  I was just in the Rainforest Gully and watched as 2 rufous fantails chased each other around where I stood.  This was at 10.45am in Section 158 near the Sambucus australasica.  There was no sign of the koel.

Maurits Zwankhuizen

From:      To:       Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 22:23:10 +1100
Subject: [canberrabirds] Rufous Fantail & Koel etc. at ANBG today

Taking a few minutes to go out of my little office at ANBG to collect the mail at the admin building, I heard a Koel down in the lower part of the ANBG. I also heard a Rufous Fantail. I tracked down the Rufous Fantail and watched it for about 5 minutes. It was foraging about a metre above ground, just inside the rainforest gully, close to the first set of steps, just above the main entrance, next to the car park and the Hudson's cafe. It was calling almost constantly.

I also watched a Galah excavating a hole in the tree about 3 metres high, on the left as you enter the gardens, immediately adjacent to the bridge from the car park to the Hudson's cafe, over the rainforest gully (so about a metre from the eaves of the cafe building and in full view). Other galah sat on the adjacent light pole watching.

Also in the morning a big mixed flock of pardalotes, weebills, grey fantails, superb fairy wrens & red-browed finches near the CSIRO gate - though nothing unusual about that.