canberrabirds

Choughs on City Hill?

To: "'Paul Fennell'" <>, "'Peter Ormay'" <>, <>
Subject: Choughs on City Hill?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 17:21:27 +1100
For what it is worth, one morning 3 weeks ago I had 7 W-w Choughs feeding on my neighbour's lawn. I don't know where they came from as I had not encountered them any else locally recently. Also about 5 years ago I had one in my local park (in my GBS area) by itself (seen most days) for about 2 to 3 weeks. These are the only observations I have of the species in my GBS area over nearly 26 years. Even though there is a regular group around the Kambah sports grounds about 2 to 3 km away. So although normally sedentary, they do occasional wanderings.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Paul Fennell [ Sent: Sunday, 20 March 2011 3:42 PM     To: 'Peter Ormay';      Subject: RE: [canberrabirds] Choughs on City Hill?

I used to work in Allara St in Civic in the period 2001-2006 and frequently saw from my office (in the brief moments I tore my eyes away from my work)  a small number of Choughs, generally only one or two hunting around the windows at middle levels of the buildings.  I assumed they were looking for spiders or things like that.  I never saw any larger numbers on the ground closer than Parkes Way the other side of Anzac Avenue.

On an entirely different note, I saw a goodly team at the Kippax Library around 1.00 today.  Never saw them there before.  Further to that, there  has been a tribe of Choughs at the Hawker Playing Fields recently, and I had not seen them there before in 30 years.

Cheers

Paul

Paul Fennell

Editor Annual Bird Report

COG Databases Manager

026254 1804

0407105460

From: Peter Ormay [      Sent: Sunday, 20 March 2011 2:04 PM     To:
Subject: [canberrabirds] Choughs on City Hill?

On Fri. 18-3-11 about 8.45am I saw a flock of about 20 WW Choughs flying from the ANU heading straight between Ridge's and an adjacent tower towards City Hill. Has anyone seen choughs on City Hill before? Maybe they were heading for Cwth Park via the City Hill area.

Peter