canberrabirds

Parkwood and Shepard's Lookout

To: wallaces <>
Subject: Parkwood and Shepard's Lookout
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:30:32 +1100
I unknowingly followed part of Steve's footsteps at noon.  In addition to sharing his sightings at Parkwood (and the non-sighting of the GG) there were Pacific Black Ducks with DY and 1 Australasian Shoveler on the dam he mentions.  Also Golden-headed Cisticola calling from the paddocks.

Rather than also going to Sheppards Lookout I had previously been to the Kingfisher area at West McGregor to see if the Grey Goshawk had been obliging enough to visit the ACT (for my list).  It hadn't.

Possibly as a result of the worst example of razed earth development it has been my misfortune to see (are trees and shrubs now banned in ACT gardens?)  and /or the tallest, rankest grass I have ever walked through there were very few birds around.  From the flotsam line (well above the middle wire on the fence closest to the creek) if any birds had been nesting in the banks in December they would have been swept away or buried as the bank collapsed.  The Creek still has a very good flow  of water.

Martin