canberrabirds

Wanderings today

To: COG List <>
Subject: Wanderings today
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 20:35:11 +1100
Today I found myself with some time to spend in the ACT and two low carbon emission methods of exploiting this.

The first method was my bike which took me to the Swarovski store for a further example of great service by that company.  I then went to ANBG for a prowl round to see what was there.  A fair crop of the commoner birds were braving the gales as were some possible Macleay's Swallowtails on the Loosestrife and a bunch of Hairstreaks in the previously advertised position.

Then over to the car at NGA and a switch to leg-power for a trip around East Basin.  I have previously commented on what a good job the residents of Kingston have done on maintaining the environment of Norgrove Park.  Based on what I saw today the unsavoury actions of the developers of the area between the Park and Lake (and the ACT agencies (presumably ACTPLA and LDA) responsible for monitoring their activities are about to undo that situation.  It looks like a disaster area with earthworks getting right into the watercourses.  Moving a bit further along to Tadorna Hide I wonder what impact the Kingston mess will have on the wetlands (before Eastlake even gets going): the work seemed to be very close to that hide.

A little more good news was the number of darter nests visible (without bins)  from the bike path past Duntroon.

Martin