canberrabirds

wfh,again

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: wfh,again
From: Elizabeth Compston <>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 20:54:37 +1100

Yesterday, Friday, February 11th, Bill and I went to Campbell Park to see the herons. The two juveniles had flown from the nesting tree to an adjacent tree. We saw an adult bird fly in and perch on a gum tree about 50 mtrs away. There was no response from the two juveniles, although they must have been able to see the parent. The parent did not come in to feed the juveniles. We waited for about 30 minutes. The juveniles showed no signs of flying to the tree where the parent was perched.

Each day, now, I think "This will be the last time I see those birds". Well, we saw them again today. They had flown to the tree where the parent was perched yesterday. There was no sign of he parent this morning.

We think that the parent has been flying in from the east. For the juveniles to fly in that direction, they will have to fly over open ground with no trees to rest in. Maybe they will fly more northerly, but, presumably the parent will lead them somewhere safely.

If any COG members see a wfh, feeding beside a dam or other water, with two juveniles in tow, could they please let me know

Elizabeth