canberrabirds

NEEDLETAILS FLYING AHEAD OF TONIGHT'S STORM

To: COG bird discussions <>
Subject: NEEDLETAILS FLYING AHEAD OF TONIGHT'S STORM
From: Denis Wilson <>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 23:35:29 +1100
Needletail reports from Robertson, NSW.

Just on dusk a small flock of White-throated Needletails (Spine-tailed Swifts to oldies like me) roared past my back deck, while I was watching distant thunderstorms over the far southern end of the Shoalhaven Valley.
There were 15 birds in this group.
Flying low (approx 100 metres) and fast, not circling round (i.e., not in feeding mode).
Weather was threatening, but not raining (here), but that there were large storms 50 Kms to the south from Robertson.

Two days ago I twice saw a pair of Needletails (separate birds or same pair twice?)
They flew at about 150 to 200 metres high against clear blue skies.
That was about 2:00pm on Suynday. Very hot 30 + degrees C, at the time.

Cheers
Denis Wilson