canberrabirds

Pied Currawongs

To: <>
Subject: Pied Currawongs
From: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 18:17:52 +1100
Usually at this time of the season we only have the pair that has bred in my Chapman GBS site, plus their dependent young.  About now they move away and we’re relatively currawong free for a month or so.

However, this year in addition to the family (2 adults plus 2 immatures) there have been other currawongs in amongst them.  This afternoon a group of 10 were in a photinia bush giving their typical whining flocking call, one we haven’t heard too much in recent winters.  I guess it’s all to do with food availability, this may change rapidly of course if the forecast heat wave for next week eventuates.

Jack Holland