canberrabirds

Time of the dollarbird

To: <>
Subject: Time of the dollarbird
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 16:40:35 +1100

Young DBs are appearing in the suburbs.  I’ve got a couple around here.  This is an annual event, numbers depending on breeding success, and this seems to have been a good year.

However this one was perched on a limb about 1m above the water in a gully at Campbell Park, perhaps its own way of keeping cool.  I will remember the occasion because I was wandering along with only thongs on my feet, partly to mark Australia Day and partly to counter the heat and the grass seeds.  I was concentrating on what this chap was doing when I found myself knee-deep in nettles.  It is said that the native Australian nettle inflicts more sting than its imported counterpart, but I would not claim accurate identification on that basis alone.

 db juv J_3092.jpg