canberrabirds

wfhs

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: wfhs
From: Elizabeth Compston <>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 22:00:46 +1100
The white faced heron chicks hatched between Christmas and New Year, probably closer to New Year. Blue egg shells were found a couple of metres from just below the nest. We think that initially there were 4 chicks, because of egg shells seen. One chick did not last long. So last Saturday, the last time that the smallest chick was seen, they would have been about 23 days old. The chicks, presumably would have hatched over three or four days. The older chicks would have grown before the last one hatched. We have visited the nest often. There was never any arguing and disputing between chicks, and once, when the parents bird flew in with food, we saw each of the three chicks being fed. The chicks were never demanding for food, nor did we hear them call in a demanding fashion. Sometimes they were low in the nest but recently they have sometimes been standing beside the nest on the branch. Nevertheless the smallest one has died. Perhaps, besides not getting enough to eat, it was at times trampled by the older, stronger chicks. The body is still there possibly 5 days after the chick died.

Martin B compared the situation with the royal spoonbill nesting two years ago. In contrast with the WFH, the spoonbill chicks died at a much younger age. They could easily be pushed out or eaten(?)

Questions: Has a WFH ever been known to eat the dead body of any animal? It does not have the sort of bill that could tear apart a corpse.

Is the body too big and heavy for the parent to lift and take out of the nest? Answer to that is, we don't know

Won't ants come to devour the corpse? They quickly descended on a small dead fish that was dropped from the nest

Noisy miners harass the parents whenever they come in, and have done ever since the WFHs started to build. Are they just being territorial, or would they like to eat the dead chick?

We once, at Grenfell saw a wfh apparently feeding on a dead sheep. It was getting the grubs in the sheep.

Elizabeth