canberrabirds

dead chick

To: "'Tim Birch'" <>
Subject: dead chick
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:05:44 +1100
Hi Tim,

I am sure you are right and I note your comments are about behaviour of chicks, rather than parents. Siblings eating dead siblings among raptors is a sort of special case (and if it was about raptors rather than herons I probably would have mentioned that). Indeed with some eagles it is common for an older / bigger chick to kill or harass to death a younger chick (which then is likely to be eaten). Those who have watched this, report that the parent does little if anything to stop it. Indeed the parent probably did this when it was a chick.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Tim Birch [ Sent: Thursday, 27 January 2011 3:29 PM     To: ; ;      Subject: RE: [canberrabirds] dead chick

Hi Philip

Not sure i agree with your line of thinking. Birds of prey/owls chicks can sometimes end up eating their own brother/sister in the nest - there are good adaptation reasons for doing this if food scarce and sometimes not all the chick gets devoured. You would think given the risks from decaying biological material in the nest and the impact on surviving chick and the potential to attract unwanted visitors (carrion feeders) from the smell of a rotting carcass that a behaviour would have developed to clear out material like this from the nest - does anyone know if this behaviour has been observed in some birds of prey/owls ?

regards

tim