canberrabirds

how to recognize bronze-cuckoo species? (Campbell Park)

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: how to recognize bronze-cuckoo species? (Campbell Park)
From: Susanne Gardiner <>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 20:44:09 +0000 (GMT)
Sorry, no, on hindsight I cannot be 100% sure. The back pattern looked more black than a Grey Butcherbird, but I didn't look for the chest. And the call was different.

The Flycatcher was a Satin one. The photo is fuzzy, but the underside of the tail is definitely dark.

@ Philip Veerman. re Cuckoos
At the moment I am using a Simpson&Day Guide (with Slater at home and ACT Guide still on the Ship to OZ), though I was too surprised to see the bird and then get my son to see it, that I didn't compare there and then. I have often missed viewing birds for longer, because I had my nose in the book, so I usually try to look at the book later. Maybe not a good way of doing it.

It (the Bronze Cuckoo) was about a meter up on a young tree and then went down into a short bush, where we lost it. I always expect cuckoos higher up.

Cheers, Susanne