canberrabirds

white faced heron

To: "'Elizabeth Compston'" <>
Subject: white faced heron
From: "Margaret Leggoe" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 13:34:45 +1100

Thank you so much, Elizabeth, for these directions.  Why would anyone pay for organised entertainment, when it can be had for free at Campbell Park?

This morning there are still three chicks, but it is jolly hard to see all three at the same time.  I made a compromise between the best spot for light and the best spot for visibility, and was not disappointed because the feeding adult approached from the left giving me a good view of the two stronger chicks being fed.  It then moved into the middle of the nest to feed the smaller one that could not compete with the more vigorous chicks.  In that session, all three chicks were fed, but two seemed to get a fair bit more than the one that remained in the centre of the nest.

This is the best I could do trying to get all three together.

Margaret Leggoe

White-faced-heron-chicks110118_7105.jpg