canberrabirds

Ring or band?

To: "'Philip Veerman'" <>, <>
Subject: Ring or band?
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 08:00:07 +1100

The demonstration that Philip is referring to was an event called “Spring Fling”,  joint open days held by the CSIRO Black Mountain site and the ANBG. I am not sure if the ANBG was under the control of the (now) Federal Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts at the time but the banding displays were part of this open day weekend. I was doing the banding, sometimes but not always, with and under the direction of the then Co-ordinator and Secretary of the ABBBS. He is quite right, we did catch and band a Lewin’s Honeyeater in the ANBG on one occasion. These displays were very popular with the general public, and especially children.

I should have mentioned in my original reply to John Layton that besides the two main groups mentioned as local banders, there are several other completely independent banders locally who operate their own sites, in or close to Canberra. Whether these banders are willing to put on a “public display”, with the approval of the current Senior Project Officer ABBBS, is up to them.

Finally, I’m sorry Philip but you just don’t meet my criteria for a “page 3 girl”.

Mark

PS – as mentioned in my original email, there is the possibility of a weekend banding open to all in October near West Wyalong if the COG outings organiser wants me to do so. Obviously it is not as far as Iron Range and the Cape. I have had people ask me in the recent past if I was going to do another banding weekend.