canberrabirds

Chestnut ID opinions please - Sparrowhawk

To: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Subject: Chestnut ID opinions please - Sparrowhawk
From: John Brannan <>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 15:20:01 +1100
I concur with Geoffrey on the tail issue. I have the pleasure of seeing both species reasonably frequently up at the Pinnacle, and I've found the tail of the perched bird to often be deceptive. In Julian's photo, the only clearly definitive element to my eye is the elongated middle toes. I agree with Julian that both toes look unusually long given the positions of the legs. On a more subjective (dodgier) note, my immediate first impression of the photo was that it was a Sparrowhawk -- I think due to the less "massive" impression it gives. Goshawks always seem to me to look generally more hefty somehow. All very subjective, of course.

John Brannan