canberrabirds

babies?

To: "'Judy Corp'" <>
Subject: babies?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 17:06:48 +1100
My best guess is Grey Shrike-thrush. I have seen a very similar nest of these birds some 5 to 8 years ago at a similar situation on the veranda of a house out just beyond Queanbeyan towards Googong, on some COG survey (maybe the first Blitz day I don't recall). It is a remarkably neat nest, curiously with two very distinct layers. The description of the nest in Beruldsen's book "Field guide to nests......." matches the photos of the nest perfectly. The chicks look a bit like Blackbirds but at that age look like most passerines of that size range and would fit Grey Shrike-thrush. Best clue of course is to wait for mum or dad to arrive. But what she says about the bird would likely also fit the GST.  I don't know what she means by cuckoo call.