canberrabirds

osprey in perth

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: osprey in perth
From: Elizabeth Compston <>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 18:06:02 +1100
I need Geoffrey. Remember the photos that he took a couple of years ago of the claws of the spoonbills at Campbell Park? balancing on thin branches of the willow, and also on the barbed wire? Well, I now need him to take a photo of the claws of an osprey, perched on the top of a dead upright branch of a small tree. The diameter of the branch is only about 10cms. A metre or two away is the huge nest of the bird, and an osprey chick was standing on it. It had urgently been calling to be fed, and was brought a fish. The adult osprey was very wet, as if it had dived into the Swan River to catch the fish. The youngster had been testing its wings, as if it was thinking of flying off before too long.

This nest is at Devil's Elbow, Peppermint Grove, overhanging the river, if anyone else is coming this way in the near future and wanted to see it.

There is another nest in a Norfolk Island pine, on the beach, Swan River, Claremont. Recently a chick fell from that nest, quite a height. It's leg was broken. An adult bird was also found. It had been poisoned, by what, was not know. It was nursed back to health and took off to join it's mate. This story was in the local Post newspaper. The Devil's Elbow bird and nest, I have been seeing often, when I come to the West

Mm, I know it's a bit far to come to Perth, to take a photo. It is very, very hot here, not birding weather

Just saw Geoffrey's photo of the crested shrike tit. How long since the last one was seen?

Elizabeth