canberrabirds

Off topic. With trepidation. But they will fly, eventually.

To: <>
Subject: Off topic. With trepidation. But they will fly, eventually.
From: "Margaret Leggoe" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 18:04:32 +1100

On Mt Wanniassa this morning I was intrigued by this cute little wattle and daub cottage hanging vertically from a very chewed old leaf.  I “borrowed” it to get a really close photograph, and then noticed these small but hungry caterpillars on an adjacent leaf.  Could it be the caterpillars hatched from eggs within the “cottage”?  And if so, what moth or butterfly would have jaws strong enough to chew through those twigs to construct the little house?  I am completely unaware of moths or butterflies with chewing mouthparts.

And now I will duck for cover for putting up a non-bird posting.

Margaret Leggoe

wattle&daub-cottage101214_1045.jpgyellowgreen-caterpillar101214_1070.jpg