canberrabirds

Knot really a Canberra species and comment on CBN on-line

To: "'Perkins, Harvey'" <>, <>
Subject: Knot really a Canberra species and comment on CBN on-line
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 17:05:45 +1100
I guess that is an extract from the CBN on-line. A great facility by the way. On which I would comment some things. A typo on Maria's name (it should be Lukacs) is in the original. A more consistent little problem as shown here is that this facility often strangely gets the punctuation wrong when extracted. I have noticed this before. Mostly it doesn't matter too much. E.g. below, note the hyphen missing in Sharptailed Sandpiper and the . instead of a , in HANZAB illustrator. would . The original text was correct. Maybe this is a problem in the scanner or character recognition software or whatever. I don't know. It is still a very worthwhile facility...........

It is - let's be tolerant and say curious - as to the comment about Even though none of the observers was an experienced wader-watcher and I wonder who they are to make and publish that claim and based on what and how they define the term and why they saw fit to mention this and how they thought it was a useful comment. I can say without commenting on anyone else, that I had participated significantly in the Westernport Bay wader surveys and the wader surveys around SE Qld for many years before that. And yes it is true that there are several people far more experienced in wader id than me and but I object to this description and the manner in which it was made.  I had seen at least many hundreds of Red Knots before. True I had not seen a lot of Red Knots in the recent years up till that point in time (due to living in Canberra). So for that reason took notes of the bird to remind myself and be confident.

While we are at it, were they really suggesting that the Sanderling & Grey Plover are more common than the Red Knot? Surely not.

I know Maria and I saw it together (actually I think she saw it before me) and I think we were leaving when David and / or Harvey arrived and we went back to look at it with them. I don't know now whether Peter Marsack and Bob Rusk saw it earlier, later, separately or whatever........