canberrabirds

Off Topic but definately on the Air

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Off Topic but definately on the Air
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 21:01:43 +1100

During the past few days I’ve noticed an increasing number of “White” butterflies flying through the garden. They are certainly not Cabbage Whites. Seem to have some yellow on the hind wing, perhaps other colours as well, but hard to get close to and impossible for me to catch. My resident lepidopterist is currently at sea between Surfers Paradise and Auckland, so confounded brat is of no help, being absent (again) when required. From a perusal of Braby’s field guide I guess they’re one of the Jezebels Delias spp. Spotted or Imperial Jezebel, I don’t know. Anyone?

Between 4:30 and 5:00 PM , while sitting on the front porch, I was treated to a veritable parade of these little critters as about every 15 seconds I saw some moving by, flying quickly, singles but mostly pairs and trios, all heading from SSW TO NNE, a very few paused for a quick snackaroo among the White Cedar blossoms.

John Layton.

Holt.