canberrabirds

Emu with young near Cotter

To: "Nick Payne" <>, <>
Subject: Emu with young near Cotter
From: "Peter Ormay" <>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:50:31 +1100
Emus bred at Tid NR in the late 70s - early 80s (and probably still do) but most of the clutches dwindled away to zero probably due to fox predation. If they reached about half-adult size they seemed to be able to look after themselves. Emus were often seen outside the reserve in those days mainly along the Corin Dam Road. I wouldn't be surprised if this clutch was hatched outside the reserve but I think they are ex TNR stock.

On one occasion I saw a male Emu with three half-grown chicks along the Corin Rd walking around in a grassy area snipping the flowers off Flatweeds (Hypochoeris radicata). I wonder if they like St Johns Wort or Patersons Curse flowers.

Peter Ormay