canberrabirds

Some weekend birds

To: <>
Subject: Some weekend birds
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 09:55:35 +1100
I did birding at JW and Mt Taylor on Saturday and around Castle Hill, Lanyon and Pine Island on Sunday. The area near Tharwa is looking great and it was nice to be out again. I don't get to do this much, recently. At Castle Hill it seemed I was adding species every few minutes. Nothing unexpected but probably more species and individuals than I have encountered before. Strangely no Hooded Robins. At the entrance gate to Lanyon was a big flock of Corellas. These comprised over 50 Little Corellas, plus as far as I could tell exactly 2 Long-billed Corellas (plus many S-c C). The two Long-billed Corellas were not together but each loosely associating (just feeding) with groups of the other species. The social antics of Little Corellas as they walk around in circles with each other, do tumbling wrestles and walk along with wings spread over their partners like an umbrella is really amusing. Another really nice view on Saturday was of a pair of Gang gang Cockatoos having a very long affectionate preening session on Mt Taylor.